Tuesday, November 07, 2006

This business has its ups and downs

Day306
I had planned on showing a few more election sites tonight. (I hope you voted today – I did.)
But, the past few days of working on my store have been so frustrating I thought they could give you a realistic picture of running your own online store!

2 days ago when I was adding all the Christmas pictures to this blog, Blogger decided to act up. It uploaded the first 2 pictures fine, but I couldn’t get it to take the next two. After trying over and over and refreshing again and again I decided to put the pictures into photobucket and upload them from there. They moved over alright – dragging half of the title underneath up and in between the pictures.

So I messed with that for about 30 minutes. When I finally got the title back where it belonged the pictures were quite a bit closer then the pictures above were, which didn’t look good at all.

After much trial and error and another hour I had everything on the way I wanted it and held my breath while I hit “post.” Normally posting something I’ve already written takes about 10 minutes.

Some days are just like that.

Then for the past 2 days my image basket in the back end of my store has been full of red Xs where images should be. CafePress was aware of it and working on the problem. However when I discovered it, I was in the middle of submitting classified ads and every other picture I uploaded was a red X. So I would have to choose a different picture. This not only took about twice as long as usual, it changed the look of the ad I wanted.

I suppose in both cases I could have saved those tasks for sometime later on, but my list is too long to put things off.

2 good things happened in the middle of the mess: I sold another Amazing Grace t-shirt and The Small Business Brief Newsletter told about my store as a place to shop for Christmas gifts!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been reading more of your posts on both your blogs (yes I know, it's procrastination on my part, but I prefer to think of it as creatively productive procrastination :-P) and I only have one question:

Where do you get your energy?????

:-D

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Inherited from my multi-tasking mom! :)

I've also always been a huge list maker and am the type who doesn't go to bed unless everything on my list is crossed off!

Nancy

 
At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha. The only thing I think I got from my mom is the tendency to get distracted in the middle of work. :-P

Okay. I have decided to follow your example and make lists. I'm hoping to do one design and one blog entry a day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home