Sunday, May 21, 2006

Nitsupak interview

Day140
I'm back to interviewing, today with Ilene: http://www.cafepress.com/nitsupak?pid=4370506

1. What drew you to opening an online store? Were you in a related field?

My husband, a graphic artist told me about CafePress and Zazzle. He was going to open an online store. After investigating both of these businesses, I chose CafePress because shop owners have more control over the markup and price of the item. Zazzle, at least at the time I looked, only gave a shop owner a percentage of what they wanted to charge.

I wanted an outlet for my creativity after being stifled (smothered) in the corporate world. I have been doing photography since I was in high school, but never had an outlet to show it. The funny thing is that even though my hubby showed me the stores, I'm the one who opened one. He since has lost interest.

2. When did you open your store?

I opened a basic shop in Jan 2006 and then my current one, in February 2006

3. What is harder about doing this then you thought it would be?

The hardest part is marketing. I had been a software engineer for 20+ years, and basically never did anything entrepreneurial. This is a whole new ballgame.

4. What do you like best about being an online shopkeeper?

I like the chance to do something creative and see other creative works - yes, even some of the goofy t-shirts are creative.

5. During the very first month, what do you wish you had known then that you do now?

I wish I had a better handle on doing descriptions. They are tough to get the keywords into.

6. Could you share some of the marketing you’ve tried so far (on or off line) and what has worked and what hasn’t?

I have started a blog

http://www.nitsupak.blogspot.com/

I have signed up on webring and am trying to find web sites, and forums that would be targeted to my area.

Nancy’s comments – I love Ilene’s watercolor flowers and pop art tulips! Also her painted yellow followers look really great on all the clothes!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:47 PM, Blogger nitsupak said...

Thanks for interviewing me. I am enjoying your blog and reading about other cafepress store owners!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home