Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Austin Animal Art & Photography interview

Day129
Today we are visiting with Austin Animal Art and Photography:
http://www.cafepress.com/aaap?pid=4370506

1. What drew you to opening an online store? Were you in a related field?

My wife and I are already running a pet portrait business and trying to build it up a little. The idea of a client being able to buy their finished design on a variety of products was quite appealing to us.

2. When did you open your store?

I first opened the store about a month ago.

3. What is harder about doing this then you thought it would be?

The actual set-up of the shop was quite easy, so the hardest thing would have to be marketing the products.

4. What do you like best about being an online shopkeeper?

I think the idea of not having any overheads is great!

5. During the very first month, what do you wish you had known then that you do now?

I'm sure I'm going to look back and see plenty of things I could have done, but I guess we all have to start somewhere. I have a feeling I should have already changed to a premium shop...

6. Could you share some of the marketing you’ve tried so far (on or off line) and what has worked and what hasn’t?

So far, all of our sales have come through the main pet portrait business. I have put up some links on various sites, but this has not yet been successful in generating sales. I suppose the best advice I can give is to try everything, and see what happens.

7. What other sites, blogs, etc. do you have if any?

This is our main site: http://www.austinanimalart.com

I've considered a blog but I just can't seem to find the time!

Nancy’s comments - I had a great time looking at Austin Animal Art’s main site! It was fun to see the photograph and then the drawing she did from it! And Patricia is such a good artist! I agree with her husband's comment in the interview where he said they probably should have gotten a premium shop already. The artwork is so good, they shouldn’t limit themselves to one product per design.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Blogger Nancy said...

Hi John,

I'll send Austin Animal Art an email and ask him to answer your question!

Nancy

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

Austin Animal Art emailed their reply to John, so I am posting it below:

"My wife is the real artist behind Austin Animal Art. She always uses just a high quality pencil and acid free artist's paper. She says that what brings them to life is the contrast she creates between light and dark areas, but she also has a way of capturing the subject's spirit.
She does occasionally paint in other mediums, but she feels that she can produce her best animal work in pencil. All Austin Animal Art drawings are produced in pencil.
Thank you for the compliments, John. I have passed them on. Sometimes it takes a while for the designs to reach the cafepress site, so please continue to enjoy the main AAA site!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home