Friday, May 12, 2006

For the Cow interview

Day131
Here is Lauren’s site and interview – enjoy!

http://www.cafepress.com/forthecows?pid=4370506

1. What drew you to opening an online store? Were you in a related field?

I originally was introduced to CafePress when I purchased some gifts from the ASPCA store, while tracking my order I read about opening my own store and thought it would be fun to try. Once you open one store it’s addicting, you just keep opening more. I suppose I’m in a somewhat related field. I recently graduated with a degree in Film and I’m developing an independent documentary on how the Standard American Diet is killing us. I suppose I use my CafePress store as an outlet for the frustration that comes with seeing people eat themselves into diseases like cancer and diabetes everyday.

2. When did you open your store?

I opened my first basic store in August of 2005. Then after opening about ten or twelve basic stores and making a little bit of money, I decided to upgrade and combine them all into a premium store in February of 2006.

3. What is harder about doing this then you thought it would be?

Probably the hardest thing about running my store is finding enough time in the day to accomplish everything that I would like to accomplish. It seems like each time you accomplish one task, that accomplishment leads you to several more tasks. The more you learn about running the store, the more you realize there is to do.

4. What do you like best about being an online shopkeeper?

I think my favorite thing about being a shopkeeper is that I have an outlet to spread awareness, and to reach people all around the world with my designs.

5. During the very first month, what do you wish you had known then that you do now?

I wish I had been more organized and I wish I had studied a bit more about what it takes to get a website running and to build traffic. You learn something new everyday.

6. Could you share some of the marketing you’ve tried so far (on or off line) and what has worked and what hasn’t?

So far the only marketing that I have done is to submit my website to as many search engines as possible and to submit my store to some affiliates who have websites that are relevant to my designs. I try to read something everyday about internet marketing, but I still have a lot to learn. So far I have generated a few sales from the affiliate program.

7. What other sites, blogs, etc. do you have if any?

I don’t have any other websites at this time but I hope once I’ve gotten my store well stocked with designs, to start a blog or a website to spread my message.

Nancy’s comments – The first thing I thought of when I looked at Lauren’s site is clean. Her designs are clean, simple and attractive. She has a message to share: to treat the earth and animals with respect and to simplify our lives. I like it!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home