Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Origami Dreams interview

Day150
Camy’s first store is at http://www.cafepress.com/origamidreams?pid=4370506

1. What drew you to opening an online store?

I often feel frustrated when I go shopping and see the same designs repeated over and over again. I've always wanted to come up with my own apparel/merchandise line, but had no idea how or where to start. Then a friend featured her CafePress store via her blog and the whole process intrigued me. It basically started with me coming back to that idea, and I was already looking for a place where I can feature my designs
.
1.5 Were you in a related field?

I'm an executive assistant and illustrator for a Photography and Graphic Design Studio. The good thing is that although it may be a 9 to 5 job, they gave me time and space to do some freelance projects.

2. When did you open your store?

April 2006. I can say that it is still on the experimental stage before I can upgrade to the premium one.

3. What is harder about doing this then you thought it would be?

Stressing to come up with more designs. Ever since I opened, my brain's working all the time. I would be doodling in the train going home, writing notes as I walk, seeking inspiration from reading different books, listening to music and looking at gift wrappers.

4. What do you like best about being an online shopkeeper?

Flexibility in time and in design concepts and ideas. Also to be your own boss.

5. During the very first month, what do you wish you had known then that you do now?

That in any opportunity, there is so much that you can do, it's WHEN you're actually going to do it.

6. Could you share some of the marketing you’ve tried so far (on or off line) and what has worked and what hasn’t?

I send emails, updates via cell phones and newsletters. I plug my store wherever and whenever I can. Best to start will be within your closest circle like your family and friends. That way, they can offer suggestions and are most likely to spread the word. Especially if they see that it has potential.

7. What other sites, blogs, etc. do you have if any?

My blog: http://origamidreams.blogspot.com which I update sporadically.
The company that I work for http://parallaxstudio.com.ph
And I just opened another basic store with my other designs. It's at
http://cafepress.com/papercrane

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home